Since Texas governor Rick Perry vetoed HB 242 in June of 2011, there is law prohibiting cell phone use in the State of Texas. Additionally, Texas has yet to enact a state law that would ban texting and driving, despite the known facts regarding the dangers of using a cell phone while driving and the high risk of accidents associated with driving while texting or talking on a cell phone. As your Lufkin independent agent, we can help you by advising you of the specific laws that do exist in the state. Specific Texas Laws Pertaining to Minors and Cell Phone Use and Texting While Driving
- Texas law prohibits anyone who has a learner’s permit from using a cell phone for any reason during the first twelve months of driving.
- Drivers who are under age 17 and have restricted licenses are prohibited from using a cell phone for talking or texting while driving.
- It is against Texas law for any school bus driver who has passengers under the age of 17 on board, to use a cell phone for any purpose while driving.
- Federal employees are prohibited to use a cell phone for texting – either to send or receive messages, while driving.
Other Texas Laws Regarding Cell Phone Use and Texting While Driving
- Texas law prohibits bus drivers (not school bus drivers) from using a cell phone regardless of whether or not they have a hand held device, while driving . Furthermore, Texas law prohibits bus drivers from texting while driving.
- Texas drivers are prohibited from using a cell phone (even with a hand’s free device,) or texting while driving in school zones in the state.
- Texas law prohibits drivers age 18 or under from using a cell phone for any reason, or from texting while driving , anywhere within the state – under any circumstances.
- Texas law prohibits all drivers from using a cell phone or texting while driving on any road that is marked as a school crossing zone, regardless of whether they are near the school, or whether children are present.
The facts regarding the dangers of talking on a cell phone or texting while driving are well-known and well publicized. The statistics regarding accidents caused by cell phone use or texting while driving are staggering. We can help you find ways to lower your auto insurance premiums in Lufkin, but you can do your part by refraining from talking on a cell phone or texting while driving.