Unfortunately, natural disasters are occurring now more than ever due to the climate crisis. For Huntington, TX residents that means that floods, hail, strong winds, and storms are wreaking havoc on the area. In case one of these catastrophes damages your car, Integra Insurance Services has explained below what Texas locals need to know about their auto insurance.
Prepare With Your Insurance Company
1. Make sure you have comprehensive auto insurance. This policy covers damage to your car caused by flooding, hail, fire, or wind.
2. Double check what your deductible is in case you end up filing a claim.
3. Make an inventory of what’s in your car. Similar to home insurance, this helps both you and your insurance company calculate any costs of damage.
What To Do If A Natural Disaster Damages Your Car
Unfortunately, if your car was damaged or totaled from floods, hail, storms, or fire, you have to make a few calls.
• File a claim as quickly as possible.
• Keep a record of everyone you talked to.
• Be ready to answer any questions about the damage.
• Ask about completing an advanced payment if you need help ASAP.
What Insurance Companies Look For
After you file a claim for natural disaster damage, Integra Insurance Services and other insurance companies will compare the car’s actual cash value to the cost of repairs.
• If the cost of fixing it is more than its worth, then the car is considered totaled.
• As another rule of thumb, if water from flooding reaches the dashboard, it’s considered a total loss.
Are you looking for comprehensive auto insurance or other insurance policies? Contact Integra Insurance Services in Huntington, TX for more information on how to protect your car, home, or business from instances like natural disasters.